Sunday, May 18, 2008

Creamy Cantaloupe Milk


Creamy Cantaloupe Milk
Originally uploaded by M Molina
Today is day one of my "eat raw for week challenge." I decided to kick things off with a light breakfast of fresh melon with Creamy Cantaloupe Milk. The recipe is from a fabulous book called Living Cuisine by Renée Loux Underkoffler. (I'm working on a review for this book and hope to have it posted soon.)

Creamy Cantaloupe Milk
Makes 4 cups
  • Seeds of 1 cantaloupe
  • 2 cups water
  • 1 cup cantaloup flesh
  • Pinch of cinnamon
  1. In a blender at medium, then high speed, blend cantaloupe seeds and water until smooth. 
  2. Pour through a strainer into a pitcher to separate pulp. I also had to rinse my blender out, as there were ground up seeds stuck in the blades. 
  3. Pour liquid back into the blender and blend in cantaloupe and cinnamon until smooth.
The Husband and I both liked the cantaloupe milk. We also both agreed that it was better over ice. (It'd also be really great with a shot of vodka in it, but I'm not even going there right now.) The flavor is delicate and refreshing, exactly what we needed on this hot Southern California morning.

I'm going to try to post a new raw recipe every day this week along with updates on how my raw eating experiment is going. This should be a fun and interesting week, for sure!

No comments: